Thursday, August 6, 2009

A Luau Shower


My brother is getting married!!! For his fiance's bridal shower, we did a luau theme. It was a great day...pool party, good food, great people. My mom made dozens of chocolate chip cookies and lemon butter cookies. We decorated the butter cookies with royal icing and displayed them at the shower. Of course, I made the cake. I found a cake online that I liked, but I didn't know how the flowers were made. I went to Michaels and checked out a book that made butterflies out of royal icing. At that point, it occurred to me that the flowers were made of royal icing. I had never made it before, nor had I ever worked with it...but my new cake attitude is to try new things, so I went for it.

First, 4 days before the shower, I made a thick royal icing and piped out each petal for the flowers. In all, I made almost 200 petals (because I originally had planned on cover the whole cake in flowers). I thinned the icing and filled the inside of each petal with the thinned royal icing. One they were dry, I was able to assemble them on the cake using buttercream as a center. At the time, I didn't know that I should have used royal icing to make the centers. Now I know.

Royal icing takes egg whites, so I used the yolks to make Kelly's homemade ice cream. My mom used her yolks to make the butter cookies (since we used royal icing to frost the butter cookies at her house).

The cake was chocolate and vanilla. I covered the whole thing in buttercream and then teal fondant. Although it didn't come out as the vision in my mind, it was still beautiful...and only took 7 hours!

My aunt and my mom at the party--aren't they festive?!?!




0 comments:

Post a Comment